Here's the stuff we found when you searched for "the back stairs -- one of those parts of the house like the butler's pantry, the swinging door to the dining room, and the third-floor shower, that were remnants of an era when a well-to-do middle class family was expected to have a few servants, and had their house designed with the idea that these people should not be seen while working, would not wish to be seen -- there was an entire section of the house centered around that staircase which could be closed off from the rest. Even the staircase itself had a landing on the second floor with a door. The servants shut those doors and busied themselves at their tasks, and the guests never saw them, except perhaps when the door to the dining room swung open and out came a silver platter upon the hands of the cook."

If you Log in you could create a "the back stairs -- one of those parts of the house like the butler's pantry, the swinging door to the dining room, and the third-floor shower, that were remnants of an era when a well-to-do middle class family was expected to have a few servants, and had their house designed with the idea that these people should not be seen while working, would not wish to be seen -- there was an entire section of the house centered around that staircase which could be closed off from the rest. Even the staircase itself had a landing on the second floor with a door. The servants shut those doors and busied themselves at their tasks, and the guests never saw them, except perhaps when the door to the dining room swung open and out came a silver platter upon the hands of the cook." node. If you don't already have an account, you can register here.