Title used by members of American fraternities to refer to other members. Ideally, the relationship between such members reflects the familial relation between blood brothers.

A band from Australia and originally comprised of three brothers and a drummer.

The brothers, Hamish, Angus, and Fergus, sing wonderful harmonies and the instruments played include guitar, bass guitar, bagpipes, didgeridoo, penny whistle and various others as required.

Their hotline can be reached by dialing 818-SLY-DOGS which is based near the Los Angeles area. You can get basic upcoming appearance and current (usually) news info and leave your address to be added to their mailing list from the message at this number.

They also have a website now at http://www.brothermusic.com. The website has much more information than the hotline and also includes an image gallery and an online store. You can also join their fan club which will give you nice perks such as advance tickets and preferred seating or entry.

They have gone through several drummers over the years, and recently the youngest brother, Fergus, has left the group to focus on a solo career. I and many other fans miss him terribly as both his playing and his vocal talents remain unmatched by those that have followed, although they have had their own strengths.
Full Name: Brother Industries Ltd.

A large multinational electronics company. Brother produces label printers, dot matrix printers, ink jet printers, laminators, fax machines, and industrial and domestic sewing machines. Brother was founded in Japan in 1934 as the Nippon Sewing Machine Manufacturing Co., and has headquarters in the U.K., Japan, and The United States.
2000 yakuza film directed by Takeshi Kitano, who plays Yamamoto Aniki, a Tokyo yak who gets on another gangster's bad side and has to flee to America. In Los Angeles, he hides out with his ghetto foster brother, Ken (Claude Maki), and makes friends with Ken's thug friend Denny (Omar Epps), eventually starting his own yakuza cell, taking over Little Tokyo, and fighting the Mafia and a group of Latino drug dealers.

Following Kikujiro, Brother is something of a return to Beat Takeshi's traditional badassery. He shoots people, gores people, punches people, kicks people, and manages to stay incredibly cool though all of it, grimacing at his enemies' bloody corpses, brooding over them with his now-trademark eye twitch.

The exchanges between the two schools of gangsterdom are nothing short of brilliant. Takeshi comes across as a man of refinement trying to impart the fancy suits and expensive wines of high-dollar organized crime on a group of street hoodlums. It's the best Asian-black dynamic you'll find in action film today, with the possible exception of Rush Hour...

Oh yeah, and the movie even features a traditional yakuza de-fingering!

If you're into movies with lots of guns and a dash of wit, then Brother is for you. Rated R by the MPAA for pervasive strong violence, language and brief nudity. Yay!

Broth"er (?), n.; pl. Brothers (#) or Brethren (#). See Brethren. [OE. brother, AS. broor akin to OS. brothar, D. broeder, OHG. pruodar, G. bruder, Icel. broir, Sw. & Dan. broder, Goth. broar, Ir. brathair, W. brawd, pl. brodyr, Lith. brolis, Lett. brahlis, Russ. brat', Pol. & Serv. brat, OSlav. brat, L. frater, Skr. bhrat, Zend. bratar brother, Gr. , , a clansman. The common plural is Brothers; in the solemn style, Brethren, OE. pl. brether, bretheren, AS. dat. sing. br�xc7;er, nom. pl. broor, broru. &root;258. Cf. Frair, Fraternal.]

1.

A male person who has the same father and mother with another person, or who has one of them only. In the latter case he is more definitely called a half brother, or brother of the half blood.

Two of us in the churchyard lie, My sister and my brother. Wordsworth.

2.

One related or closely united to another by some common tie or interest, as of rank, profession, membership in a society, toil, suffering, etc.; -- used among judges, clergymen, monks, physicians, lawers, professors of religion, etc.

"A brother of your order."

Shak.

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers, For he to-day that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother. Shak.

3.

One who, or that which, resembles another in distinctive qualities or traits of character.

He also that is slothful in his work is brother to him that is a great waster. Prov. xviii. 9.

That April morn Of this the very brother. Wordsworth.

⇒ In Scripture, the term brother is applied to a kinsman by blood more remote than a son of the same parents, as in the case of Abraham and Lot, Jacob and Laban. In a more general sense, brother or brethren is used for fellow-man or fellow-men.

For of whom such massacre Make they but of their brethren, men of men? Milton.

Brother Jonathan, a humorous designation for the people of the United States collectively. The phrase is said to have originated from Washington's referring to the patriotic Jonathan Trumbull, governor of Connecticut, as "Brother Jonathan." -- Blood brother. See under Blood.

 

© Webster 1913.


Broth"er (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Brothered (#).]

To make a brother of; to call or treat as a brother; to admit to a brotherhood.

Sir W. Scott.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.