Do*mes"tic (?), a. [L. domesticus, fr. domus use: cf. F. domestique. See 1st Dome.]

1.

Of or pertaining to one's house or home, or one's household or family; relating to home life; as, domestic concerns, life, duties, cares, happiness, worship, servants.

His fortitude is the more extraordinary, because his domestic feelings were unusually strong. Macaulay.

4.

Of or pertaining to a nation considered as a family or home, or to one's own country; intestine; not foreign; as, foreign wars and domestic dissensions.

Shak.

3.

Remaining much at home; devoted to home duties or pleasures; as, a domestic man or woman.

4.

Living in or near the habitations of man; domesticated; tame as distinguished from wild; as, domestic animals.

5.

Made in one's own house, nation, or country; as, domestic manufactures, wines, etc.

 

© Webster 1913.


Do*mes"tic, n.

1.

One who lives in the family of an other, as hired household assistant; a house servant.

The master labors and leads an anxious life, to secure plenty and ease to the domestic. V. Knox.

2. pl. Com.

Articles of home manufacture, especially cotton goods.

[U. S.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.