In an interesting note, if you play the "You've got mail!" sound clip backwards, it somehow says "I am ugly!"

I didn't believe it until I heard it for myself...
Since 1989, all AOL voiceovers have been provided by Elwood "El" Edwards, including the infamous "You've Got Mail!"

Edwards is a professional voice actor who, along with his wife, resides in Orrville, Ohio, where he has set up a studio in his home to further his voice acting career.

Edwards has in the past voiced car commercials, news reports, sports, and has even been a weatherman.

You can visit his personal web page at http://members.aol.com/voicepro/

AOL UK voiceovers (including the infamous "You've got mail") are provided by the lovely Joanna Lumley (of Ab Fab fame).

Many people dismiss You've Got Mail as a lightweight and ultimately forgettable romantic comedy. But in actuality, it is quite a dark and subtle film. It tells the story of Joe Fox (Tom Hanks), a powerful and ruthless man who is quite accustomed to getting whatever he wants. He is charming and urbane when he wants to be, but he has little regards for the conventions of society. He meets Kathleen Kelly (Meg Ryan) and finds her attractive, but he does not hesitate to knowingly crush her hopes and dreams merely because it is convenient and profitable for him to do so. But this is a man who does not compromise in his personal or professional life, so when she is at her lowest ebb, he turns on the charm and seduces her. He has destroyed her business and driven her to depression, but she loves him, because he wills it. Watch it again with this in mind and you will see what I mean.

I loved this film, it ranks alongside the brilliant Wall Street and The Thomas Crown Affair (the Pierce Brosnan/Rene Russo version). All three feature businessmen, normally stereotypical Hollywood villains, as the protagonist, and cast in a very favourable light. Thomas Crown isn't just a corporate raider like Gordon Gecko, he commits crime for the sheer pleasure of it, and he's the hero!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.