Computer game by Sierra, written by actual cop, Jim Walls. Gameplay was very similar to that of King's Quest, except that, of course, you played a police officer. Despite the topic, the game was very interesting. You had to be really careful to follow police procedure, like walking around your car before getting in.

In the first game you start off as lowly beat cop, Sonny Bonds, and manage to get promoted to being a detective. Your first big assignment is to bring down this gambling/drug ring in your homecity of Lytton, Cal. Your character ends up falling in love with an ex-hooker (I think named Marie) who helps in the bust. The main bad guy is a dude named Jessie Bains. It's always important to mention that some actual Police forces used the game for training.

In part II you're after Bains again. This time he kidnaps Marie and you end up chasing him through the sewers after following a long track of evidence. Another very cool game.

Around the time part III was made Sierra switched to icon driven games. This on top of a tired storyline of again chasing Bains really took away from the game.

After that Walls disappeared and Daryl F. Gates tookover. I think they made one title that abandoned Sonny Bonds as the hero and it wasn't any good.

Supposedly Sonny made an appearence in one of the SWAT games.

The full Police Quest series:

Police Quest: In Pursuit of the Death Angel (1987)
Police Quest 2: The Vengeance (1988)
Police Quest 3: The Kindred (1991)
Police Quest: Daryl F. Gates' Open Season (1993)
Police Quest: SWAT

SWAT 2 and SWAT 3: Close Quarters Battle are sequels to Police Quest: SWAT, but they are not usually considered extensions of the Police Quest series.

The first four games can be found packaged together as The Police Quest Collection.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.