Nickname for "Christopher", borne by Kit Carson, Christopher Marlowe, and also Kit Rodriguez, a character in Diane Duane's So You Want To Be A Wizard and its sequels.

Stands for "keep it together." Also the first name of the fictitious action star, Kit Ramsey (played by Eddie Murphy), from the movie Bowfinger. In the movie, he was a member of a cult-like organization called Mindhead, and his motto was "keep it together," which he was particularly fond of saying when having a nervous breakdown

KISS Principle = K = KLB

kit n.

[Usenet; poss. fr. DEC slang for a full software distribution, as opposed to a patch or upgrade] A source software distribution that has been packaged in such a way that it can (theoretically) be unpacked and installed according to a series of steps using only standard Unix tools, and entirely documented by some reasonable chain of references from the top-level README file. The more general term distribution may imply that special tools or more stringent conditions on the host environment are required.

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

Kit is an AOL Instant Messenger client for Linux licenced under the LGPL. It is included as part of the KDE Desktop Environment package. Features found in version 1.2(not necessarily the most recent at the time of this writing) include:
among other standard AIM features.

Features not included are buddy icons, advertisements, and probably others.
Overall it is just a basic instant messaging client that does it's job without any frills.

Kit, v. t. [imp. Kitte.]

To cut. [Obs.] Chaucer.

 

© Webster 1913.


Kit, n. [See Kitten.]

A kitten.

Kit fox Zool., a small burrowing fox (Vulpes velox), inhabiting the region of the Rocky Mountains. It is brownish gray, reddish on the breast and flanks, and white below. Called also swift fox.

 

© Webster 1913.


Kit, n. [Gf. AS. cytere harp, L. cithara. Cf. Guitar.]

A small violin.

"A dancing master's kit."

Grew.

Prince Turveydrop then tinkled the strings of his kit with his fingers, and the young ladies stood up to dance.
Dickens.

 

© Webster 1913.


Kit, m. [Cf. D. kit a large bottle, OD. kitte beaker, decanter.]

1.

A large bottle.

2.

A wooden tub or pail, smaller at the top than at the bottom; as, a kit of butter, or of mackerel.

Wright.

3.

straw or rush basket for fish; also, any kind of basket.

[Prov. Eng.]

Halliwell.

4.

A box for working implements; hence, a working outfit, as of a workman, a soldier, and the like.

5.

A group of separate parts, things, or individuals; -- used with whole, and generally contemptuously; as, the whole kit of them.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.