Inspiration can be a powerful motivator.

A friend of mine comes from the family that used to make Leedy drum kits. He wants to buy the family business name back from Gretsch so he can start making quality drums. He talked about this for a while, and his girlfriend bought him a book on the history of Leedy drums. I wanted to motivate him, and after searching a while I found an inspirational gift. I bought him a 1920's bass drum pedal with the original Leedy logo. He keeps it next to his computer at his worksite, and he told me it keeps him on track for his dream.

My wife, on the other hand, felt that she was too old to go to college to become a veterinarian. It took almost two years of poking and prodding her to consider it, and after she began I bought her a San Diego Zoo vet patch for inspiration. She has always wanted to work at that zoo, and she is working on getting everything together to get accepted into vet school.

The next time you're thinking of getting a gift for a loved one, try getting something that will inspire them. It will show you're interested in what they desire and you're willing to help them attain their dreams.

Cryptic message scrawled on my fingertips. Don't know who wrote it. Could have been me. Why would I write it? What was I trying to warn myself of? So I read it. But the message changes every time. A desert. A storm. A prophet. A damp city night. Panic. Rest.

Can't piece it together.
Don't know what it means.

A blindingly fast informational jetstream.

Trying to remember the ones from before...

An ambiguous facility blanketed by snow.

Discarding some, keeping others. Filing some away. Connecting them. Connecting moods.
Trying to relive each one
Trying to stop the motion. To reverse. To tame. To isolate.
I forget everything else.
I abandon time. I abandon communication.
Until I am drained.
And what have I got to show for it?
Nothing tonight.

In`spi*ra"tion (?), n. [F. inspiration, L. inspiratio. See Inspire.]

1.

The act of inspiring or breathing in; breath; specif. Physiol., the drawing of air into the lungs, accomplished in mammals by elevation of the chest walls and flattening of the diaphragm; -- the opposite of expiration.

2.

The act or power of exercising an elevating or stimulating influence upon the intellect or emotions; the result of such influence which quickens or stimulates; as, the inspiration of occasion, of art, etc.

Your father was ever virtuous, and holy men at their death have good inspirations. Shak.

3. Theol.

A supernatural divine influence on the prophets, apostles, or sacred writers, by which they were qualified to communicate moral or religious truth with authority; a supernatural influence which qualifies men to receive and communicate divine truth; also, the truth communicated.

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God. 2 Tim. iii. 16.

The age which we now live in is not an age of inspiration and impulses. Sharp.

Plenary inspiration Theol., that kind of inspiration which excludes all defect in the utterance of the inspired message. -- Verbal inspiration Theol., that kind of inspiration which extends to the very words and forms of expression of the divine message.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.