At High School, the chemistry lab had sets of chemicals in squeezy bottles. Whenever there was a spare moment when we were unsupervised, we would jump out of our seats and run over to the bottles and start squirting random chemicals into test tubes or beakers in an attempt to cause some kind of chemical reaction (usually just a swift and violent reaction from the teacher, if caught, was the best we could do).

The majority of the time the chemicals stayed clear, but quite often they created a greenish-brown sludge we assigned the name "Brown". The precise nature of the Brown is unknown, and nobody had the courage (or was gullible enough) to taste or even touch it.

It remains a mystery to this day what this substance was, or even what it was made up of, but a mixture of random chemicals is bound to reproduce the substance known as "Brown".

Certain combinations of colors will produce the color brown. Not just any combination will work, however.

For example, mixing Red with Orange (the product of Red and Yellow) produces Reddish-orange, not brown. Mixing Blue with Purple (the product of Blue and Red) produces a bluish purple.

If you mix a primary color with the secondary color opposite it on the color wheel, you get brown. Alternately, if you mix all three primary colors, you will also get brown.

For instance, mixing Blue with Orange (which is actually red and yellow) produces brown. Basically, mixing all three primary colors with each other in some fashion will produce brown.

Or a sickly, puke-colored mess.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.