Cast of Thousands
was my very first novel for National Novel-Writing Month
. It's a coming-of-age story about a girl growing up in sunny Davis, California
with two moms, one gassy cat, and a growing sense that she is different - but is she just different from her younger self, or from all her peers?
Core Cast of Characters
Jessica: Twelve years old, running around with long hair flying and often-skinned knees bared. An aspiring zine author who once wanted to be a goldfish when she grew up.
Mom: Jessica's "one mom," Joyce - a practical and relaxed woman who has the comfortable habit of never worrying about trivialties like grape juice stains on the carpet. Refinishes and builds "fancy furniture."
Moms: Jessica's other mom, and a cascade of characters herself:
Dorian: One of the Moms, a laid-back and funny woman.
Gail: Jess' practical and loving older sister.
Jack: Jess' uncle, an affable and welcoming man who taught her how to ride a bike.
Kelly: Another mom, involved with Jess' Girl Scout Troop. A bit of a worrier.
Kitten: Jess' bouncy, sparkly little sister and best friend, at least when she was younger.
Tommy: A shy but friendly four year old who loves firetrucks...
... among others.
Chapters, For Your Delectation:
- My Family
- Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- O.K. Corral
- Count Fartula
- Davis Bookstore Reviews
- Permission Slip
- A Tree Grows In Davis
- Cattle Prod
- Prima Donna
- Strega Nona
- Multiple Personality Disorder From the Inside Out
- The Incredibly True Adventures of Two Girls Making a Zine
- Rainbow City
- Personal Zine
- The Secret Lives of Girls
- Whipped Cream and Other Delights
- Jingle Bells
- Free Writing
- Corrections and Clarifications
- Gym Teacher
- The Journal Entries
- The World According to Spider-Man
- Wig Out
- Non-Traditional Coming Out
- Cal Worthington
- Two things not to say in Nepali
- Ploughman's Lunch
- Personal Fitness Merit Badge
- Political Correctness Is Gay
- Chocolate Oblivion Truffle Torte
- Who Am I?
- Greek Chorus
- Multiple Irrealities
- An American Family
- All Families Are Psychotic
- Rainbow Family
- At the Poetry Reading
- How To Bind your Own Book
- Journal of Experimental Child Psychology
- The Uncertainty Principle and MPD
- Ask Missy Knowitall
- Coming of Age
- Brain Storm
- Dinner With the Parents
- About Being Different
- Multiple Choice
- Reinvent The Wheel