An old tale retold and illustrated by Tomie de Paola.
Caldecott Honor Book.
For Franny and Fuffy. - His two twin cousins.

No part of this publication may be reproduced in while or in part, or stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without written permission of the publisher. For information regarding permission, write to Prentice-Hall, Inc., Englewood Cliffs. NJ 07632.

ISBN 0-590-37038-3


Copyright 1975 by Tomie dePaola. All rights reserved. This edition in published by Scholastic Inc., 730 Broadway, New York, NY 10003, by arrangement with Prentice-Hall, Inc.
Printed in the U.S.A.

Poor example of Copyright...
Notice the name Tomie de Paola on the front of the book is spaced between “de” and “Paola,”yet in the copyright section there is no space. Now I started thinking, does this make the copyright null and void? - No, so I didn’t rip off the author and just type the entire story for a really good node. So I’m really a huge loser not some cheap loser with no life. Simpleton and Orpheum do a very nice job defining and explaining the copyright idea in the node copyright.

”Never, go near my magic cooking pot,” warned old witch Strega Nona. But does Big Anthony listen?
NO!

The entire story is about an old lady Strega Nona who is magical. Strega Nona has a magic pasta pot. By singing a special song, Strega Nona can make her pot fill with pasta. By singing another special song and by blowing three kisses Why the heck magic kisses?, Strega Nona can make her pasta pot stop making pasta. Big Anthony, Strega Nona's helper, heard Strega Nona singing and saw her pot filling with pasta. He heard Strega Nona singing another special song to make the pot stop making pasta. But, because he didn't pay attention, he didn't see her blow three kisses after singing the second song. Anthony sneaks into the kitchen and cooks up some spaghetti with the magic words he over heard from Strega. Unfortunately the magic makes the spaghetti grow and grow, but will not stop until the ending magic kisses are done. Pasta poured out of the pot, out of the house, down the road, and into the town creating a disaster. Big Anthony's punishment was to eat the pasta. The moral of the story is to not be greedy and listen to the rules - even if you don’t understand.


All information was stolen researched from the book itself, Strega Nona.

Cast of Thousands, Chapter 11

The class was late enough in starting and rowdy enough in singing that they barely got through one song before the bell rang to let them out of school. Jess managed to slip out far ahead of the three brats behind her, and disappeared into the bike racks.

She figured she needed some time to cool down, and rode right past her house and on to the library.

The library was blessedly cool and quiet. Jess had practically grown up there, and knew it as well as she knew her own bedroom. She gently rubbed the outline of the bright yellow library card in her pocket, and made a beeline for the children's room. Soon she was happily ensconced on the floor, re-reading old picture books and giggling to herself. The bright colors of the pictures lulled her into a happier place.

She looked up at the clock and suddenly realized it was nearly six. Squeaking, she leapt up and ran for her bicycle.

Joy sat back on her heels, examining the bookshelf in front of her. She had been experimenting with curves, making shelves that undulated like waves along the wall and a chair whose back looked like fronds of seaweed or leafy tree branches waving in the wind.

This bookcase was more ambitious, because it had to curve without taking up too much space or leaving gaps where books could fall down between it and the wall. She rubbed the edge of a shelf with sandpaper, admiring the way falling grains of sawdust caught the afternoon sunlight, glittering.

It must be about time to take the potatoes out of the oven, she thought. Joyce believed in hearty meals, and she had been roasting potatoes and butternut squash all afternoon. Maybe some of that accordion pasta that Jessie liked would be a good main course.

The kitchen clock notified her that it was already a quarter to six, so she quickly filled a pot with water and set it on the stove to boil. Missy, anticipating food, ran in and bounded onto the kitchen table.

"Hey, stinker," Joyce greeted the cat, scritching its head lovingly. "Have you been scaring Jess' friends off with your butt-bombs?"

Marcy hadn't come back over since that first visit the week before. But Joyce wasn't sure whether that was because she was too uncomfortable with them to come back, or whether it was simply a seventh grade scheduling problem. Jess had been over to Marcy's house for a few hours to do homework earlier that week, so Joyce supposed it couldn't be that serious.

She set a lid down on the pasta pot and turned off the oven, peeking in at the vegetables.

Jess flung open the garage door and made a dramatic entrance, waving her arms at the stove. "Bubble, bubble, pasta pot, make me pasta nice and hot... um... something, something, I don't know what," she rhymed flippantly.

"You really should go out for that play," Joyce opined. "You'd be great in it."

"Aw, mom, auditions aren't even for a couple of weeks yet," Jess said, wriggling out of her backpack and throwing it on a chair.

"Is that where that lives? I ask you." Her mom took the lid off the pot and poured a bag of radiatori pasta in. Jess picked it up with her best classic sarcastic teenaged eye-roll and sigh, and removed it upstairs. Joyce snickered to herself.

Chapter 12?

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.