Trawling through the various nodes about God on E2, I noticed a disturbing pattern in people's logical arguments about God and religion.

When they say God, they mean the Christian conception of God. When they talk about religion, they mean Christianity. In fact, they don't even include all of Christianity. Examples include: God has no free will and God is God: God is not man, God is not Superman, God is not print in a book.

This is simply not the case. Here are some examples from the religion I know most about, Islam, and the things that are foisted upon Islam, when they really only apply to Christianity.

Religion and Science: Because of the bad blood between Christianity and science that dates as far back as Galileo being put under house arrest; or the scientific errors in the Bible (e.g. day and night created before the Sun is created) many people think science and religion can not coexist. This is not the case, for example, with Islam, with great chunks of mathematics, astronomy and medicine being developed by Muslim scholars like Al-Khawarizmi and Ibn Sina. I am yet to find a scientific contradiction in the Qur'an, nor could many others, as documented in Maurice Bucaille's book, "The Bible, Qur'an and Science".

Forceful Evangelism: Just because Christians (and then, not even all Christians) can be forcefully evangelical and proselytising, or historically, people have been forced to become Christian at sword-point, does not mean all religions. Verse 2:256 of the Qur'an clearly states: Let there be no compulsion or forcing in religion, truth stands out clear from error.

Faith is belief without proof: Muslims don't believe in God without proof; Muslims think there is very strong evidence of God's existence and that Islam is the truth. Belief can be founded on reason.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.