Frozen
Written by Madonna and Patrick Leonard

You only see what your eyes want to see
How can life be what you want it to be
You're frozen
When your heart's not open

You're so consumed with how much you get
You waste your time with hate and regret
You're broken
When your heart's not open

Mmmmmm, if I could melt your heart
Mmmmmm, we'd never be apart
Mmmmmm, give yourself to me
Mmmmmm, you hold the key

Now there's no point in placing the blame
And you should know I suffer the same
If I lose you
My heart will be broken

Love is a bird, she needs to fly
Let all the hurt inside of you die
You're frozen
When your heart's not open

If I could melt your heart...

My Take: Okay, I like Madonna as much as the next person and even have forgiven her for changing her accent every week -- even still, I regard her as obscenely talented and skilled with her craft, and this little piece shows it.

However.

As good as it is, there exists a cover of this song; the cover, by Girls Under Glass, makes the Madonna version seem like wet, stringy lettuce because where the original has soothing vocals, the cover has angry boys with guitars. It creates a extreme contrast when you listen to them both together -- on one side you have Madonna's high vibrato and smooth notes.. and then on the other side you have GuG using voice harmonizers, persistant precussion and what amounts to "fierce" guitar work (whether it's real or sampled, though, is something I'm not sure) -- it like what you would expect if Rozz Williams got together with The Sisters of Mercy to cover it and then had Project Pitchfork remix it.

This is not to say the Madonna version is in anyw way bad because it's not, it's just saying that the cover is really, really good. But the lyrics are beautiful any way you like it, and so it really has something to offer anyone, depending on how you want to take it. With sugar or without.