The reason we know so much about Tutankhamun, and why 99% of the book ajaxlemoN was about the tomb, is because so few tombs remained intact to the present.

Grave robbers were the rule for most of the tombs and pyramids.

There is actually more information about him and his time, because of the many things that were found with him. the practice was to bury all the things the pharaoh had used in life with him in death, so his spirit, the ka, would live in comfort after death.

The process of mummification was devised to preserve the corpse, so the ka could continue. That is why there are no mummies in the tombs of robbed sites; the grave ropbbers destroyed them so not to be bothered by the ka of the king whose tomb they had robbed.

This may even have contributed to the story of the mummy's curse; the mummy still existed, so the ka still did too, and avenged the disturbing of its tomb.

I remember when the artifacts came to the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto. It was one of the biggest events there.

In particular, I remember the golden death mask. It is the famous image of Tutankhamun; the one in all the books. But three feet away...

In all the light, and crowd, of the museum I never thought of the curse. Nor did I think about, in the splendor of the many, magnificent objects, how minor a pharoah he really was--and how inconceivable the glory of a great pharaoh must have been.