Monopink Dream, 2001, is the second single from UAE-born, London-based producer MISOGI's 2020 EP, little*stars.

It's become a top favorite of mine recently for its glittery synthpop instrumental and its dreamy and hazy lyrical content, which is just beautiful, vivid, and morbid. The intro shimmers through its first arpeggios, and then soon glides down into the first verse, where it becomes clear that the title is not just a vaguely related aesthetic but a look into its actual content. The first lines reflect a storyline driven by dream logic, glazed over with the blur of half-remembered nights (I've been dreaming in colors that I can't see / Yeah, I don't wanna know what that means). Of note is my personal favorite line right after (Rip out my skull and place it with the flowers), a visual in my head that fills me with so much feeling. Its chorus is also very infectious (Oh, dreaming of the colors from afar / Spent so long dancing in the dark / And I just wanna find out where you are / Like oh, like), and the change in pace in the second verse feels smoother, filled with entrancing visuals (Out of my body lately / I can feel my conscious fading, baby, ooh). The bridge then continues to immerse you in the dream (My veins are wires, will you turn the white noise up? / The way the sun reflects off the river / The smell of hair bleach, it reminds me of the summer) before fading out calmly and quietly.

The music/lyric video shouldn't be skipped out on either, painted in oversaturated RGB lighting and clumsy camera cuts that could only be reminiscent of the wild haze and unforgiving logic of a dream. Can't recommend this song enough.

-

Brevity Quest 2022