Ignoring the obvious "MP3 it all and run queries on the id tags" method, which I'm sure will be covered elsewhere, I've come up with some workable systems. Both of them realate to abstract properties of the CD.

The Rainbow Method

The CD's are arranged in the order of their spine colour: Black-> White-> Red-> (rainbow)-> violet. This requires you only to know the colour of the box you want and you can jump right into the right part of the collection and pluck it out. The only problem is that non-rainbow colours (brown etc), and massively multicoloured spines are special cases.

The Mists of Time Method

This is my previous method. I've arranged them in order of either the date of composition or the copyright date. For compilations, I've listed them by the latest item. This works pretty well, since my CD's range from about 1550 - 1999, and so there's a good range. Of course they do bunch up a bit towards the end. So now to find a CD I just need to know roughy when it's from. This works fairly well.

Hybrid Cop-out

Now I've all the classical music in composer-death-date order as above and the other stuff in boring old alphabetical order. This seems to offer the best of both worlds.

The drawback to all these methods is that they require you to put everything back where you found it, and have a place for everything and everything in its place. These concepts are alien to right-thinking people everywhere.


pimephalis thinks that the above methods mark me out as some sort of Nick Hornby/High Fidelity/John Cusack figure. Hmmm.