The media's been having a field day tracking the rate of home mortgage foreclosures. Gasoline and diesel fuel prices are the highest in U.S. history. The worry-worts and fearmongers are having a holiday.

I tend to ignore short-term economic hiccups and focus on the long term. In other words, "what goes up must come down," or vice-versa.

However, a letter from Jean-Marie Eveillard, one of the most brilliant mutual fund managers today, caused me a great deal of concern. Now, the individuals I mention above who've nothing better to do than worry have said things similar to what Eveillard said to his shareholders in a letter dated May, 2008:

This is the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression.

Now, of course, Mr. Eveillard made it clear that the problems in the U.S. and financial world markets are certainly not as great as they were during the Great Depression. However, he did make it clear that it's time to pay the piper. In other words, after a 25-year credit boom, the cherry on the top of which is the sub-prime mortgage situation, we're in for some significant fiscal bad news. Fannie Mae and Freddy Mac, the New York Times reported today, are teetering on the edge of needing rescue by the government.

Eveillard, a brilliant economist, goes on to say:

The lesson here is the monetary authorities should have paid attention to the writings in the 1930s of the Austrian School of Economics pointing to the financial excesses of the 1920s as the leading cause of the Great Depression.

Never one to cry over spilt milk, Eveillard cited the extremely long-term decline in equity prices in Japan as an example that we could be worse off than we are.

His outlook is that we'll have to turn to emerging, volatile, unpredictable markets in India and Asia. Investment in gold as a generator of profit is no longer that; it's insurance against what he calls "extreme outcomes."

One of Eveillard's funds, First Eagle's Global Fund, has a track record of >15% annual earnings over the life of the fund. Even this superb long-term, low-risk investment is falling prey to market volatility. Just when we turned around from a loss position in the third quarter, fourth quarter predictions are that we will endure a loss for 2008; the first time the fund's shown a loss since 1990. This from a fund that yielded 18.17% on average over the last five years. Well, I guess what goes up must indeed come down.

It's time for belt-tightening. I'm struggling with the fear of the unknown. I hate it.