Like the ancient temples of Egypt, China, and India, the Empire State Building had all its stones quarried from the same location. The uniformity of the building material in the ancient temples ensured a balance of good qi. Perhaps this wasn't the intent of the architects Shreve, Lamb & Harmon Associates when they planned the building, but the effect is the same.

One wonders if the men from the Indiana Limestone Company who spent time at Empire Quarry breaking up stones felt a little like they were digging a hole to China. 207,000 cubic feet of limestone (18,630 tons) were quarried and shipped from the quarry in Bloomington, Indiana, to the site of the Empire State Building in Manhattan, New York.

The Empire Quarry was abandoned after procuring all the limestone needed for the building, leaving what seems to almost be a bottomless abyss in the ground. It is "as if the skyscraper as we know it, upside down, had been extracted from that place whole. Now the shaft is filled with rainwater. People used to swim in it, and many had drowned until they erected a railing around it -- much like the railing atop the building to prevent people from jumping" (Christopher, Nicholas. 2000. Veronica.).