A bomb! What are you giving him a bomb for? Thats a dangerous animal!

Monty Python's Life of Brian

Bomb was a third party producer of Atari 2600 games back in the early 1980s. Or more specifically, they were a producer of games back in 1983, since all of their games were released that year. The name of the company itself is very descriptive of its titles, as they all bombed. These games are all extremely rare, especially in the United States. NTSC versions are almost impossible to find. It seems that they did slightly better in Europe, making PAL versions of these games a little more common.

Any Bomb game in good condition should be worth at least $100 USD. They are worth much, much, more with the box and manual.

Bomb Atari 2600 Cartridges
  • Assault - Assault was a boring repetitive space shooter with huge alien ships. A large mothership moves back and forth at the top of the screen and releases other large ships for you to blast. The game always likes to keep three ships on screen at all times, and makes more of them as soon as you shoot the other ones.

  • Great Escape - Great Escape was an awful space andventure game that seemed to have been based on both Defender and Sinistar, but without that crucial fun factor that made both of those games a hit. You control a ship that flys around in space, and you can view offscreen action using a little scanner at the bottom of the screen. But you can only move in the four primary directions, there is no diagonal movement for you, but the enemies can and will move in all different directions. The crippled movement system made this game horrible. It could have still been decent, but the controls were also very sluggish, making it impossible to actually do anything.

  • Wall Defender - Wall Defender is another Bomb title that could have been great. You control a little blaster guy who runs around inside a little maze in the center of the screen, while monsters advance towards you from outside the maze. You have to keep blasting them so they don't destroy your maze. The only problem here is the controls. Apparently no one told the developer of this game that the Atari 2600 had an 8-Way joystick. This game appears to have been coded with a 4-Way joystick in mind. Hitting any diagonals simply causes your little guy to completely stop moving, which makes the game very unnatural to play, as you are constantly worrying about only hitting the primary directions on your joystick.

  • Z-Tack - Z-Tack was the only decent game that Bomb ever made, and even it wasn't that good. It is kind of like Missile Command or Atlantis in reverse. There are a bunch of cities at the bottom of the screen, and you have to blast them with your UFO. The cities fight back by firing upwards at you. As the levels progress the cities will also begin to send out guided missiles that attempt to attack you from the sides, but they seem to be easily avoided.