A fishing town on the North East coast of England, reputed to be a seaside resort since Victorian Days. Also home to a Roman signal station, first discovered in 1857 after a cliff fall. A small scale archaeological excavation took place in 1923, and due to increasing erosion, two seasons of work was carried out in 1993-94 to salvage what still survived.
The signal station garrison probably consisted of a small band of local militia whose duties were to warn local folks and the inland Roman army of the approach by raiders from the sea. The site measured about 50 meters wide with a 14m square tower in the center. The tower was surrounded by a small walled courtyard and beyond that was a defensive ditch.
The Filey station dates to the late Roman period, with coins found in the refuse indicating somewhere after AD 385.