The Sukhoi Su-25, nicknamed "Frogfoot," is Russia's main battlefield attack aircraft. Designed by Russia's famous Sukhoi aircraft company, the Frogfoot prototype was first flown on February 22, 1975, and entered action in Afghanistan in 1980 (that's right, the Russian's had a war there too.) During this conflict, Su-25's flew more than 60,000 sorties, and lost 23 of their number (most to American made and delivered stinger missiles.)

While serving the same mission as its American counterpart the A-10 Thunderbolt II, the lighter and faster Frogfoot was built under a different philosophy. The A-10 is more maneuverable, and can have nearly half the plane blown away without crashing. The Su-25 on the other hand, is 150 miles per hour faster, and has wicked acceleration; it drops the bombs and gets the hell out of there. Although not quite as rugged as the A-10, the Su-25 does have a titanium shell surrounding the cockpit much as the A-10 does, but can only carry half the ordinance. Thanks to a strong undercarriage, the Su-25 can operate off of grass runways, and (like most Russian aircraft) it requires little maintenance.

Production of the aircraft ended in 1989 after about 330 aircraft had been manufactured. First exported to Czechoslovakia (now two separate countries) the aircraft now serves over twelve air forces the world over.

Type: Single-seat attack aircraft

Powerplant: Two 9,927lb thrust MNPK "Soyuz" R-195 turbojet engines

Max Speed: 590 mph at sea level

Ceiling(Maximum altitude]: 22,950 ft.

Combat Radius: 306 miles with 8,800-lb. bombload

Weights: Empty 21,650 lbs; loaded 40,920 lbs.

Weapons: One 30-mm AO-17A cannon with 250 rounds; two R-60 air-to-air missiles; about 8,800 lbs of bombs, rockets, or missiles.

Dimensions:
Span 47 ft.
Length 51 ft.
Height 16 ft.
Wing area 324 ft. sq.