Went to a lawyer for the first time in my 42 years today. Paid her $100 to tell me that my soon-to-be-ex and I qualify for "Summary Dissolution of Marriage" and that we don't need to pay lawyers any (more) money.

Met with soon-to-be-ex at escrow company to sign away my interest in the house so she can sell it (she bought it before our marriage) with the stipulation that the escrow company issues me a check directly when the sale is finalized. That's the extent of our financial entanglement.

But that's not why I'm logging.

I just put together a fast computer - haven't had a new one since 1998 - and one of the things I've been doing is using grip to rip and encode my CDs to oggs, since I have a capacious hard drive now. I came across a CD I bought through Columbia House some years ago that wasn't what it was supposed to be. It was supposed to be "The Baroque Trumpet", with Simon Wallace and the Royal Promenade Chamber Orchestra playing selections from Bach, Telemann, Neruda and others. It is clearly not that - nary a trumpet has a solo at any point. The CD is printed with the same info as in the CD case, which is all what it was supposed to be.

I've always wondered just what it is, exactly. It is a 4-part symphonic piece, kind of dark and brooding. Not something I pull out to listen to often, but I do listen to it from time to time.

As I looked at the CD just a bit ago, I realized that through grip's CDDB look-up function, I might finally find out what it is that I have! Of course there was a moment where I pondered whether I really wanted to eliminate the mystery or to keep it going, but that soon passed.

Into the drive the CD went and moments later, mystery solved.

The disk is "Symphony No.1 -Titan-" by Gustav Mahler.

It makes sense, given my reactions to other Mahler works I've heard, though I would never have pulled his name from the air and said this work might be him. I'm just a dabbler in Classical Music. Still, one of those really cool little benefits of the Information Age that I like stumbling across now and then.



(The above kept me from logging much about my personal upheaval and the subtly nuanced varieties of anger I'm discovering.)