Film by Joel and Ethan Coen, released by Buena Vista Pictures beginning in December, 2000.

The story follows three escaped convicts through their adventures in the depression-era American deep south. Homer is given a writing credit, a section of the Odyssey appears at the beginning and several plot points reflect details of Homer's Odyssey. These include the names of Ulysses and his wife Penelope, a one-eyed character (The Cyclops), Sirens by the river, the hero disguising himself as an old man, and the transformation of a character into an animal.

Other popular mythos are also thrown in, such as the character Tommy Johnson, who mirrors the story of legendary blues guitarist Robert Johnson; he traded his soul to the devil at The Crossroads somewhere in Mississipi in exchange for his talent on the the guitar.

The title references the movie the main character in the film Sullivan's Travels wishes to make. "Oh Brother, where art thou?" is also spoken during the Ku Klux Klan scene.

The soundtrack is an exceptional collection of American Folk Music, collected by T-Bone Burnett who is credited as both composer and musical archivist. Additional music was provided by Carter Burwell, who has scored most all of the Coen's films.

Several cast and crew members have worked with the Coen's before, including: Holly Hunter, John Goodman, John Turturro, Charles Durning, musicians Carter Burwell and T-Bone Burnett, cinematographer Roger Deakins, production designer Dennis Gassner and producer Tim Bevan.

Directed by: Joel Coen
Written by: Ethan Coen, Joel Coen with a credit for Homer
Runtime: 106 minutes
Rated: PG-13 for violence and language

The cow was digital, though it didn't look it. The American Humane Association actually demanded proof and an unprecedented additional line was appended to the standard "no animals were harmed..." line at the end of the credits: Scenes that appear to have harmed animals were simulated.