ADD is one of the more misdiagnosed and abused treatments in grade school and middle school students today. Many children who are simply hyper and off the wall somehow fit this description, and they are given medication to control their behavior, and make parenting and teaching come more easily. The medical profession has recently turned up an eyebrow to this seemingly catch-all diagnosis. They are more wary of what constitutes a fast moving child, and what constitutes one with ADD.

A friend of mine clearly has ADD; you can see it in his eyes when he hasn't taken his medication. He's definitely a lot of fun to be around, very creative, and very smart, but he has a mind that clearly works differently. He gave a presentation once on it for our Honors Bio class back in high school. He said it was like having the radio always on "scan"; five seconds of any given topic, and then moving on to something else, without control of it. His mind moved very quickly from one thing to another, so watching him study in college was remarkable, as it meant he had to sit down and wrap his head around knowledge in a conventional way.

You can cope with ADD in many ways without medication. In fact, the good majority of diagnoses for this disorder, many doctors now feel could be attributed to parenting styles (or lack thereof). I do not want to give the impression that this does not afflict younger children, but that people in the past have rushed into this "trendy" diagnosis.

I believe that behavior-altering medication is almost too powerful, and should be used only in extreme circumstances. Medication for things such as depression and ADD are too often prescribed for people looking for an excuse, and a crutch to blame their inability to handle life. While clinically these are very serious problems, the severity of most cases does not it what it should be applied to. My mind works in a very fast moving way, and I need something to fill the gaps in the downtime. It means I move from one item to the next quickly, and seemingly randomly. Does this mean I need medication? Hardly. Does this mean that I should not be responsible for my own actions? Again, the thought seems ludicrous, but that is what we are telling our children when they have "mild ADD". They "can't help it". There is a certain line where medical condition begins, and lack of personal responsibility ends; I (and many doctors, educators, and parents) believe that the bar is not where it should be set.