Mr. Fear is the title of the first track of Hamell On Trial's second album, The Chord Is Mightier than the Sword. It was released as a single for the purposes of promoting the album, though I think they might have been better-served by a different track, perhaps "John Lennon" or "The Meeting", since the former is both spoken word and very spare in its accompaniment, neither of which I suppose would strike record company executives as particularly marketable. But on to the song itself.

Long story short, "Mr. Fear" is another independent folksinger's musical comments on American gun culture (I'd refer you to Dan Bern/Bernstein's "Disarmament" if I could find the lyrics, but Ani DiFranco's "To The Teeth" is probably a better-known example anyway). I first noded this when Everything2 was all aflame with discussions of school shootings but it was the appearance of killer instinct in the Cream of the Cool that really made me think of this song.

I feel like I should offer a disclaimer: Please note that I'm not taking a position on gun control by noding this song. Quite franky, I don't know enough about firearms to have an informed opinion, so it would be hypocritical of me to pretend like I have anything to say on a topic I know so little about. I just think "Mr. Fear" is a catchy tune, if not Hamell's all-time best, and at the time I first noded it, it was thematically related to recent debates as well.

Words (transcribed by me; all errors and italicized comments are mine):

Drill Sergeant: (bellowing): Listen up!
We are talking about the deadliest weapon in the world. Combined with your killer instinct, you will not hesitate at the moment of truth.
(guitar chords begin in the background of drill)
Are you ready?
Huuuuut... hut! Left shoulder.... hut! Right shoulder.... hut! Huuuuuut... hut! Present.... harms!
(guitar intro really begins in earnest, with sounds of guns firing in the background)

Sung:
There in the schoolyard, leathered, tough, and looking hard,
Man, I gotta get me a gun.
There in the car park, I ain't walkin' after dark
Man, I gotta get me a gun.
There in the workplace, I don't dig the boss's face
Man, I gotta get me a gun.
There in the subway station, where's my token confrontation
Man, I gotta get me a gun.
Mr. Fear.... coming round here
Mr. Fear.... coming round here

Tricky and evil ways cloud your mind with what he says
Man, I gotta get me a gun.
Dealin' lies, dealin' hate, that lowest common denominator
Man, I gotta get me a gun.
Load up in your double girl, if you're feeling there's no world
Man, I gotta get me a gun.
Mr. Fear and his designs keep on working overtime.
We gotta get me a gun.
Mr. Fear.... coming round here
Mr. Fear.... coming round here

Look into the mirror
Surely there's a fear there
Pushin' and whisperin', lies and deceit
It's gonna cheat you of your dignity, blind you to humanity
In your lonely hour it will shower you with talk of power
Where does it lie? In a book? In your mind?
In the ability to rise from where your life's defined?
Well, no, they'll say. Take up the coward's way
It is a gun and I'm embarrassed to say
That anyone can fall prey
Mr. Fear, when you come here... Mr. Fear, I'm ashamed.
Mr. Fear, when you come here... Mr. Fear, I'm ashamed.

Mr. Fear.... coming round here
Mr. Fear.... coming round here
Mr. Fear.... coming round here
Mr. Fear.... coming round here

---words and music by Ed Hamell.
(Phil Niccolo was the drill sergeant.)


On 20 August 2003, I wrote the fine folks at www.hamellontrial.com about permission to reproduce the lyrics to this and a few other Hamell songs on E2. I haven't heard back from them yet, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Full details of the relevant correspondence can be found at my Hamell on Trial writeup.