Did you stand there all alone?
Oh, I cannot explain
what's going down


This novel is better than I expected and certainly included more literary references and subreferences than I expected.

The summaries above (previous nodes) give a good outline, and it speaks to the quality of the book that knowing the general story does not diminish it. The clarity of the writing and the impact of the message are both powerful.

The message? Well, mostly it is this -
Life can be both unfair and spectacular. Often, in the same day.

Central idea:
Boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy questions the meaning of life. That simple; that profound.

That this is Mr.Green's first book makes it that much more impressive and I encourage anyone over 12 and anyone under the age of 100 to take a glance.

To downplay the message, or this book, because it is about young adults, or aimed at young adults, is missing the point. Or the points, which this books has several.

.

Fyi- the song lyrics, which I have bookended here, are from a song I heard on the radio the same day I finished the book. The fact that the lyrics match up well with this book might be a coincidence, but only if you believe in such things.

"I knew that I would know more dead people. The bodies pile up.
Could there be a space in my memory for each of them, or
would I forget a little ... every day for the rest of my life?”
John Green

You can drive
all night
Looking for the answers in the pouring rain
You wanna find
peace of mind- Looking for the answer
all lyrics from "Cigarette Daydreams"- Cage the Elephant