When we met in High school she was never by herself.  She was always part of a pack of friends or tight up against an older boyfriend. Sometimes, much older. 

 

The local rumor had it that she moved out West to be with a guy she met at work.  His family had a house West of Denver and Money.  My sister said they skied all the time, she would point at pictures on her phone, as If I was interested.  Which I was not.  Am not.   Not a social media person, then or now

 

When she came back to our quiet suburb recently my sister said she was now unemployed, divorced and was keeping a low profile. Maybe she had come back as just Claire, and I figured that would be a good thing, at least in the long run.  That was a plan I could relate to. 

She was in line at a gas station when I saw her last week.   She gave me a head nod and part of a hand wave,  it felt like she was ok to talk.  

 

How does it feel to be back,  I asked,   "You mean,  just me,  my ownself ?"   She waved  her left arm at her side, as if it were broken.  I said yes,   like that.  

 

"Not bad," offering a half smile,   "its just odd" 

 

It suits you,  I said, because it was true.   Also because I did not know what else to say.  When we were younger, when we talked before it was rarely just the two of us. It was also brief, because we were hardly ever in a place that was private.   Now we stood next to each other with just shoppers around us, most of them senior citizens buying lottery tickets.   

"Well,  I am still getting my bearings but I feel like I have my life back"   

I thought about asking how she had lost it, or what her plans were now,   but I knew enough to hold those types of questions for another day.  Good to see you back,  is what I offered instead.   This time I got a real smile and an arm squeeze.   It don't think that meant much,  but it was something.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

.

 

 

 

 

.