A Long-haired Star Begats Geard Bridd

 

   *Chorus:
    (Hey!) Over, under, sideways, down,
    (Hey!) Backwards, forwards, square, and round
    (Hey!) Over, under, sideways, down,
    (Hey!) Backwards, forwards, square, and round

 

Bill Haley & His Comets is the actual name of the band we sometimes call Bill Haley and the Comets, and what the heck is that talking about above?  Kometes is Greek for "a head with long hair.  The term long haired music used to be for Classical compositions, but changed way after this famous rockabilly group helped bring the term 'rock' to the vernacular. The longest part of Haley's hair was his "kiss-curl" on his forehead. 

Geard is Old English for yard, and Bridd is the antiquated word for bird. Get it now?  So, dear reader, you might wonder what William John Clifton Haley's first ensemble: a country music band, Bill Haley and the Four Aces of Western Swing, which evolved to the Saddlemen, and then finally became the familiar final manifestation, who wanted all to come out of the kitchen, has to do with anything I am writing about here and now. Forgive the ridiculous sentence, as well.

   Crazy Man, Crazy (Bill Haley's first top 20 hit)

Well, it is the confession of the Yardbirds' drummer, Jim McCarty, that in the vein of one of their important mentors, mentioned above. He remembers, “‘Over Under Sideways Down’ was about the situation of having a good time – a bit of decadence, really – in the ‘60s. Cars and girls are easy to come by in this day and age, and laughing, drinking, smoking, whatever, till I’ve spent my wages, having fun.”  Seeing how they formed in 1963, they were extremely ahead of their time.  So, May 27, 1966, this song, as told by the writers, influenced by Haley's "Rock Around the Clock", was released.  One can tell it had a different feel than Blues had made way for Motown and Rock and Roll in the States, but bluesman Big Bill Broonzy was successful in the UK, for example his song "Hey, Hey" which was covered recently by another one of the Yardbirds' triad of famous lead guitarists (not all at the same time), Eric Clapton, (notice the first word in the lyrics of Over Under Sideways Down: "Hey." So if it wasn't Jimmy Page, or Clapton, who could it be?

   *Bridge:
   When will it end? (When will it end?)
   When will it end? (When will it)

 

"I'll take Yardbirds' electric guitarists for 1000, Alex." 

"Jeff Beck

"You have the board."

   *Break:
   Hey! Hey!
   Hey! Hey!

What is not known, an aside, if you will, ha, is the Yardbirds' first guitarist when they formed in 1963 was none of the famous one, it was Anthony Topham.  And, though they wanted to play blues very badly, that's exactly how B.B. King said they played, go figure with music 'gods' in their entourage.  I supposed blues purists would not like the psychedelic influences infiltrating the genre, with buzz effects and other studio, and compostion creativity obvously enhanced by imbibing more than even absinthe. Eric Clapton was actually fired in 1965 because of over indulgence. 

  *Main verse
    Cars and girls are easy come by in this day and age
    Laughing, joking, drinking, smoking 'til I've spent my wage,
    When I was young, people spoke of immorality.
    All the things they said were wrong are what I wanna be;

Rebel Rebel

   (Hey!) Over, under, sideways, down
   (Hey!) Backwards, forwards, square, and round
   (Hey!) Over, under, sideways, down
   (Hey!) Backwards, forwards, square, and round
   Hey!
   Hey!
   Hey!

 

    Hey!


See Hippie

For the Side Quest 2024

Could be Over Under Sideways Drownzsurf

or Over Under Easy Downside Eggs