Passed on April 3, 1991 at the 2981st meeting of the UN Security Council. In summary, the following sanctions were imposed upon the country of Iraq.
- Called for a cease-fire in the conflict between Iraq and Kuwait.
- Restore friendly relations between Kuwait.
- Recognize the border between Iraq and Kuwait.
- Allow UN inspectors to go to Iraq and enforce the border sanctions.
- Withdraw all troops from Kuwait
- Cease operations in the production of biological weapons.
- Disclose to inspectors all locations and types of biological weapons. This is to be done within 15 days of adoption.
- Have inspectors come on site and dismantle any weapons facilities found within 90 days of adoption.
- Iraq is prohibited from acquiring new weapons of mass destruction or research to develop new weapons.
- Dismantle any nuclear weapons and production facilities within 45 days
- Return all seized Kuwaiti property to Kuwait
- Iraq is held responsible for damage done to other nations and must pay any foreign debts incurred during their occupation of Kuwait
- Iraq may only trade its resources for food to feed its citizens and medicine.
- Member nations of the UN may not offer weapons for sale to Iraq.
- Return or disclose the fate of all POWs captured during the occupation of Kuwait and earlier to their native countries.
- Iraq may not sponsor or support any act of international terrorism.