A monophonic analog synthesizer with a 32-note keyboard. 11000 units manufactured between 1976 and 1984.

The Prodigy was designed to be a simple low-price entry-level synth which would offer programmability instead of just factory presets. It became one of Moog's best selling products right behind the legendary MiniMoog.

The wood-encased unit features 2 syncable VCOs with a 8'-32' range, both switchable between sawtooth and triangle waveforms. In addition, VCO1 offers pulse while VCO2 can produce a square wave.
A self-oscillating 4-pole (24dB/octave) low-pass VCF is available as the filter. It features cut-off and resonance controls, 3 keyboard tracking modes plus its own ADS envelope generator. A similar simple EG is also featured on the VCA.
The Prodigy also contains an LFO which is switchable between triangle and square and offers rate control. It can be routed to modulate either of the oscillators and the filter. Other features include a CV/gate interface, portamento and the typical pitch bend / modulation wheels. Due to its simplicity, modifications are said to be very easy to install on the unit.

A certain popular mainstream dance project supposedly got its name from the Moog Prodigy, since it was the first pice of audio equipment their founder ever bought.


back to Moog