So there I was assuming my normal posture, my ass planted on a barstool, my feet propped up on the rail, an ice cold Bud parked in front of me and my eyes glued to the television set and CNN. It was there that Wolf Blitzer was informing the world about the recent fires that have ravaged the state of California. He was telling us about the number of homes lost and lives destroyed and how for the time being, things weren’t looking like they were going to get any better.

So far, an estimated one million people have evacuated their homes and headed for safety. I can’t even begin to imagine what that must feel like and my heart goes out to each and every one of them.

A little later in the broadcast Wolf flashed to San Diego and Qualcomm Stadium where many folks had decided to take refuge from the flames. He interviewed volunteers who were passing out assorted donated sundries and the spirit and kindness they showed towards their fellow human beings restored a bit of my faith in humanity.

Then, he came to a bit about FEMA. I’m sure you all remember them and the fiasco that was (and still is) Hurricane Katrina and the city of New Orleans. Of course their representative pledged to do their best to help see people through these most trying of times. I remember thinking to myself, “God, I hope they get it right this time.”

A friend of mine, a fairly well educated one at that, is a bit more cynical than I am. We started discussing the whole fire situation and after awhile he said something to the effect of:

“Of course they’ll get it right this time. Wanna know why? These people are fairly well off white folks, not some poor black dudes that live in the Ninth Ward. This is some of the most prime real estate in the country, not some broken run down building that they call home. We’re coming up on an election year, California has fifty five electoral votes, Louisiana has nine. Do the math.”

It’s well documented that I’m no fan of the Bush Administration. I won’t go into the reasons why but let’s just say that there are plenty. That being said, even I don’t think that they have it within themselves to play politics when people’s lives are at stake. I haven’t grown that cynical yet and I hope I never do.

To all the people who have had their lives destroyed by Katrina and by the recent fires in California, rich or poor, black or white, gay or straight, Republican or Democrat, whether you know it or not, you all share something in common.

For at least one small moment in time, you all felt despair and uncertainty over your future. For some, that feeling may linger for awhile and although it may take some time, the ship will be righted, for others, the feeling may never go away.

If we can all just remember that, we’d all be better off..

Peace out…

borgo