I wasn’t gonna do it, not this year. Nope, it’s too much of hassle and too much work to be putting together a Thanksgiving Day dinner for one or two people. There’s way too much prep time and most of the leftovers wind up getting tossed after a couple of days. I figured I’d just have myself a normal day and plop my ass down on the couch and take in the football games until the bar opens at 6:00 PM and gets filled with regulars who are trying to escape their own families. There we’d drink and raise our glasses to whatever toast that was offered.

Yep, that was my plan alright.

Until a little voice piped up and said…

”Dad, it won’t be Thanksgiving if you don’t cook a turkey.” (uttered with puppy dog eyes and a pouty face)

So now there’s a turkey slowly defrosting away in my ‘fridge. There’s fruits and nuts and the cranberry sauce was made last night and is just awaiting any finishing touches. There’s fresh celery and onions and green peppers waiting to be chopped and to be mingled in with some chorizo sausage and chicken stock and bread cubes to make stuffing. There’s fresh green beans that need to have the ends trimmed and to be cut in half and mixed together with some other stuff to make some kinda casserole. There’s potatoes to be mashed and rolls to be baked and deserts to be made. There’s cider to be poured and pies to take out of the oven.

My company that day might be small in both stature and in number but at least it will be good.

She already knows how to play me like a fiddle.

I’m much better for it.

A resounding Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours from me and mine.

Bob & Anna