What is globalisation?

There is definite evidence to back up the economic definition of globalisation: the abolition of many trade barriers, visas, foreign exchange restrictions and so on. However this definition can be contested as it does not encompass ‘globalisation’ in its entirety: as Sanders said, “globalisation has become a prominent catchword for describing the process of economic integration.” Another take on Globalisation is the idea that it is not just concerned with economics, but is a political and cultural phenomenon. Many see globalisation as an alternative term for Westernisation, or more brutally, Americanisation. The prevalence of McDonald’s, Hollywood and even the English language in places where it is not indigenous demonstrates the way in which culture is no longer so regionalised as perhaps a century ago. From this perspective, globalisation is most certainly not about trade laws and government interaction, but about the exchange of ideas and values. From a political point of view, globalisation can be seen as the increasingly complicated system of global alliances and supranational bodies: through the growth of this world order, a state’s sovereignty is no longer intact due to the knock-on effect decisions made will have on other states, or vice-versa. This in itself demonstrates the way in which globalisation is political. Ultimately, all of these definitions of globalisation can be contested in that they are ‘globalisation of... (something)’. Regardless of whether it is economics, politics or culture, this spread of resources, ideas, technology and legislation over the globe can be regarded as what Scholte describes as “deterritorialisation” – the idea that distances and locations are becoming irrelevant as communications and infrastructure improve. Globalisation is therefore the reduction of the importance of the state in world affairs.

Why is it important within politics?

The concept of Globalisation is useful in studying international relations. The changing dynamics of the world order are a vital consideration when analysing affairs between countries or regions. The “state-centric” regard to politics is no longer relevant, as so-called ‘foreign politics’ is no longer foreign but very much part of domestic political life. To disregard this globalisation of politics is to disregard a large sector of issues that affect domestic politics, as decisions are no longer made on the basis of the concerns of merely one state. The balance of power in foreign affairs has shifted away from the state and towards multilateral institutions. The idea of cultural globalisation is again important when looking at politics, as the culture of a country distinctly affects the political and economic climates. Economic globalisation too affects politics, for example the ‘Banana Wars’ between the European Union and World Trade Organisation over preferential treatment by EU countries towards banana producers in the Caribbean. This move towards free trade has meant that the European Union has had to alter some of its policies, as have many countries within the organisation. It can then be said that globalisation is of use when analysing politics as it reflects the changing world relations, and the need to adjust analysis as a consequence of this.

Sanders quote from Scholte, J 'Globalizaion', Palgrave, London, 2000