The Pakistani squash player Jahangir Khan has a place in sports history as having possibly the longest unbeaten streak in any professional sport. Between 1981 and 1986 he played over 800 competition matches without losing, and he dominated the world of squash for almost 15 years until he quit in 1993. He won 10 prestigious British Open tournaments in a row and he won 6 World Open championships.

He was born in 1963 as a son of a former British Open squash champion Roshan Kahn. At the age of 10 he started playing at his fathers club, and at the age of 15 he won the World Amateur Championships. He won his first World Open Championship at 17 and he was completely dominant from then on.

When Jahangir finally lost to New Zealand’s Ross Norman in 1986, it was on the news all over the world. Jahangir would dominate the world squash for several more years, beating legends such as Geoff Hunt and the up and coming Jansher Kahn.

He was famous for playing at a speed noone had seen before. He attacked the ball and hit it earlier that anyone believed possible and always tried to kill the ball instantly. He was also legendary for his sportsmanship and humbleness, outside the court.

Jahangir is currently the vice-president of World Squash Federation and he now lives in Karachi with his wife and his family.


Good point: 2001.12.07@06:22 driptray says Re: your Jahangir Khan node - his unbeaten streak was impressive, but is certainly not the longest in sport, let alone squash. Heather McKay had a 17 year unbeaten streak, and won 16 British Opens!
source: world squash, Pakistan powerpage