I maintain a bunch of cool extensions to the gnu textutils (now coreutils) at http://alexautils.sourceforge.net/ Today I added a nice feature to sort to compare things backwards. Not in reverse order, as was already available, but right to left. I find this handy for sorting on host names, because it keeps all the .com's together, and all of the amazon.com's together, and like that.

At work this helps me to discover DIBs or Domains of Infinite Breadth. These are the web sites like "foo.com" where this.that.anything.you.can.type.foo.com brings you the exact same pages. Many porn sites are this way, as it's a very simple extension to a DNS server to simply say "yes" to any request.

At around, we left Amelia with Mary and set off to the Alexa Internet Holiday Extravaganza. It started with the Cirque du Soleil Varekai for which we had the fancy VIP passes, that let us in the Tapis Rouge tent beforehand and at intermission for high class hors douvres and entertainment. The show itself was amazing. If you've seen a Cirque du Soleil show, you know what I mean, and if you haven't, I don't think I could successfully describe it. Perhaps www.cirquedusoleil.com would help.

Afterward we walked over to the ACME Chop House for dinner and shenanigans. It started with Alexa Jeopardy, included visits from Carmen Miranda and Austin Powers and ended with the CEO giving personal gifts to each of the 25 employees. It was a wonderful evening full of genuine camaraderie.

When we got back home, we were told that Amelia was a perfect darling who went to sleep early and on her own.