Fear (1996)

Directed by: James Foley
Written by: Christopher Crowe
Genre: Drama, Thriller, Horror

Cast: Mark Walhberg, Reese Witherspoon, William L. Petersen, Amy Brenneman, Alyssa Milano, Christopher Gray II

Plot:
A 16-year-old girl falls in love with a handsome young man who is not all that he seems.

Review:
I liked Fear. It's a simple but well-executed thriller with a talented cast and an excellent use of suspense. The plot involves young Nicole Walker (Witherspoon) falling in love with handsome and charming David McCall (Wahlberg). Her father Steve Petersen naturally doesn't trust him at first and her stepmother Luara (Brenneman) is initially unsure but in the true spirit of clichéd movie teenage rebellion, Nicole continues to see him anyway. At first he seems to good to be true, but soon the cracks start to form in the relationship. Steve finds out that David has no family or apparent history and that he had moved from one orhpanage to the other. David has a mean temper and is irrationally jealous, which is shown when he beats up Nicole's friend Toby (Gray) just for walking with her. He's also obsessed with Nicole and is psychologically disturbed. When Nicole breaks off the relationship, he starts stalking her and turns to violence towards the end of the movie.

Although Fear may not be world-class, it's a good popcorn movie to enjoy when you feel like something interesting and thrilling.

Rating: R for strong graphic violence and terror, sexuality, language (US)

Links:
IMDB page - http://us.imdb.com/Title?0116287

Source:
IMDB