Tremors is a comedy of horrors released upon this unsuspecting world back in 1990. A creation of director Ron Underwood along with a writer/producers S.S. Wilson, Brent Maddock, and Underwood himself. This story of monsters is played out by actors Kevin Bacon, Fred Ward, Finn Carter, Michael Gross, Reba McEntire, and many others.

Tagline: The monster movie that breaks new ground.

Perfection, Nevada, a quiet little town in BFE doesn't have much going for it. You can practically count the population on two hands. Valentine Mckee (Kevin Bacon) and Earl Bassett (Fred Ward) are two residents who finally get the drive to up-and-leave the town. Unfortunately they can't! A large bolder blocks the road and a mess of bodies is found! Rhonda LeBeck (Finn Carter), a geology grad student, happens to be doing some research in Perfection on some recent tremors in the area. Val, Rhonda, and Earl discover that the tremors and the deaths are linked. Perfection has become infested with giant worms! The worms have trapped the residents. Now it is up to Val, Rhonda, and Earl to save the last few townspeople and themselves.

Tremors is a horror movie that relies more on comedy than scares. It does this extremely well. While it didn't do well in the box office it has gained a lot of fans through video rental and tv play. A cult film? Possibly, but does it matter? If you want a funny film with a touch of action and thrills this would be one to check out. It seems to draw on several genres including classic black and white monster movies and modern action/comedy movies. It doesn't try to be too serious and doesn't try too hard to convince the audience the plausibility of what is happening. Even after the film the explanation for the worms is pretty vague. The answer isn't important, the journey is.

Even twelve years later I think this film could hold up well. The special effects where not the focal point of the film so they don't date the film much. Technology doesn't play a role (they are in the middle of nowhere in a desert town). Other than maybe a few minor tweaks in special effects this movie could be made today with much the same results.

This film is followed by Tremors 2: Aftershocks and Tremors 3: Back to Perfection.