I want them to code in Linux. Do what you have to do.

Undergraduate Numerical Analysis Prof, my advisor, my sensei

All right. I'll see what I can do.

Sysadmin log, day 3

So today I gave my first tutorial to the numerical analysis kids on how to code in GNU/Linux. Some of them are uneasy. Others are curious. At least one of them is downright terrified.

This is extremely exciting for me. This is it. This is what I have been training for for so long, almost since I came to CIMAT and my free software views became so adamant. This is where we see if bright kids, mathematics majors, kids who already know how to code in C, certainly not your average n00b, the very academic kids for which Linux and all of Unix in general was originally made for; this is where we see if they can actually handle it or if the penguin and and the wildebeest are going to go out in a blaze of glory.

Ah, I can feel the excitement.

I have always held a few beliefs, and now is the time to test them.

  1. It's a pleasure to be a Linux user if you have a good sysadmin.
  2. It can be uncomfortable at first. But later on it can be uncomfortable to leave it.

I have decided to be the absolute best sysadmin that I can be for these kids. I spent many days and sleepless nights lovingly handpicking for them each package from the Debian repositories in order to ease their transition into wild and unfamiliar operating systems. At first, I decided to show them the pretty: Beryl (or Compiz Fusion, as it's come to be called). Wobbly windows. Quadruple desktop on a rotating cube. Transparency. Exposé effects. Just a taste of what it can be like.

I set up a net for them. I want to show them what a real multi-user system looks like, the flexiblity, what it's like to flow throw the ssh tunnels, the miracle of X-forwarding. I want to show them the marvels of free software. The value of privacy, of being able to do absolutely whatever kind of mess on your own desktop, and have it your own. These may be mundane concepts for them, but they're already loving the idea of it.

Today I showed them bash. That took about 30 minutes. I could have gone on for hours. But all I wanted to show them was how to move around through the filesystem with it and how to execute programs. Show them tab-completion. Remarked that although it's quite possible to use graphical tools to accomplish the same and never use bash, that with practice it becomes so much faster to use ten fingers to communicate with a computer than a measly index finger and a wrist.

And too much wrist motion causes strain. Let's not forget this. This is why it's important to know about Emacs and vim. Not fall into wedlock with either one of them, not just yet, just know about them. The two great editorial philosophical currents. They're both important. I told them, work through both their tutorials. Try one of them out for a week. If within a week neither one of them suits you, that's fine. I will allow you to use any other editor you please; Kate if it so must be. But you must be allowed a chance to give your wrists a rest.

I'm very nervous. I don't know if this will work out. I'm also very excited. The stakes are very high. Will they love it or hate it? Will their use of Linux survive beyond this course?

No more speculation if "Linux is ready for the desktop" or not. No more musings about what free software in education could be like or not. No more theory. It's all practice from now on. It could fail. I could fail them. But it could also be the start of a beautiful friendship.