Some good points here, but I feel I must comment on the last paragraph. As a materialist, I would state that there is only one level of reality: the complex pattern of matter and energy that we call the physical universe.

When you state that awareness perceives pattern, you are (I assume) postulating a second, perhaps 'higher' reality; the universe of awareness. But this is a dualist position, and I do believe that is considered an undefendable, or at least incredibly dodgy, one by most sane philosophers.

I think your argument is flawed. Yes, we can perceive our own thoughts, but that doesn't lead to any contradiction. We simply have a thought pattern at a higher level that is concious of (i.e. models) the lower level thought pattern. (Overeducated people at this point may be seeing shades of Bertrand Russell. Yes, his formalism was incomplete, but nobody said our minds could solve the halting problem...)

I hope that doesn't go over everybody's heads. I would suggest reading Godel, Escher, Bach to all those who are confused but interested.

But to get back on-topic: it is perfectly possible to think of God as pattern (see pantheism for an interesting position on this), so long as you simply discard the notion of an infinite God. I mean, who said God was infinite in the first place?