In the US we call them ‘Fries”, in Britain they are “Chips”, but in Canada the humble potato reaches new heights when it becomes “Poutine”. (Pronounced Pooh- Tin by most Southern Canadians)

Don’t let the French name fool you; this is anything but an elegant dish. Put simply, the Poutine is generous order of French fries, covered with brown gravy and a soft white cheese. It is often served up as a main dish.

Fernand Lachance of Warwick, Quebec is generally given credit for the invention of the Poutine, way back in 1957. A reminder to all of us, that childhood obesity is a very recent concern.

In any case, the “True” Poutine is made of the finest and freshest of ingredients. The potatoes used for the fries must be fresh and hand-cut into thick strips. These must be fried in the purest lard available (Have I mentioned that the Poutine is oblivious to calorie counting and fat grams?). The the freshly fried strips, crispy yet tender, are then heaped in a bowl (Large portions are mandatory). Moments before serving, the fries are covered in a mountain of fresh-that-day cheese curds and then drenched in a homemade sauce brune. You will know if your curds are appropriately fresh, if they occasionally squeak between your teeth .

As with most mainstays of the North American diet, the Poutine has been adopted and simplified by the fast food industry, where it often appears as the just their standard French fries covered in thin layers of canned brown gravy and imitation mozzarella cheese. They kept the fat content, but not the taste.

Therefore, I strongly suggest, that you try your first poutine at one of the “Spud Buggy” or chip stands you will find in every small canadian town. While you may not be served a “True Poutine”, you will get the freshest, most favorable version that is available outside of Quebec.

Come on America, open you minds and your mouths, it can’t be any worse for you than a Big Mac!!