As a young man desperate in my search for lucre, I was employed at McDonalds. I was desperate and many people wouldn't hire me. I was a punk. I looked like a delinquent; I talked like a delinquent. I would have been a delinquent, if I had ever been caught.

McDonalds opened the arms of employment to me. They cuddled my growing sense of personal pride and initiative by slowly offering me responsibility and a feeling of accomplished goals.

I spit in McDonalds face, and tarnished that trust. I don't think anyone noticed.

I worked at McDonalds for almost two years while attending high school. As a measure of my worthiness I never received a raise. I was regularly rude to customers, often becoming personally insulting. I came to work drunk, took long breaks, stole food and rarely washed my hands before leaving the restroom. I even attacked a customer through the drive through window one night and refused to tender their change, claiming it was an idiot tax.

I was not a model employee. Fortunately for me, and those that chose to be around me, I have grown and matured since then. I am no longer the foolish young man I once was.

The thing that has always bothered me the most about McDonalds is, they never fired me. I received the occasional reprimand, but that was it. I don't think they actually cared about my behavior. Now, every time I eat at McDonalds, I fear that someone like me is preparing my order, just waiting for me to criticize their performance and snap. I don't eat at McDonalds much anymore.