The ham radio shorthand Q code sign QRZ means "Who is calling me?" You'll hear it often if you're listening to a shortwave radio during an amateur radio contest or when an operator is located on some exotic location with thousands of hams trying to get through to earn a QSL card, which is basically a postcard that verifies the two-way contact. When spoken, it's usually, "Q R Zed?"

QRZ is also the name of the magazine published by the Amateur Radio Relay League, or ARRL, which is the national society for ham radio operators. It's a monthly slick that is a perk of membership. 

In each issue they have several fascinating articles like construction projects, antenna concepts, electronics reviews of interest to amateur radio operators, and the results of contests, special events, and volunteer work. 

Because the ARRL is a non-profit organization, they help to keep the electronic spectrum laws reasonable and functional. They also assist with training and practicing in case there is a major catastrophic event, such as an earthquake in California. If the cell towers go down and the power grid is destroyed, ham radio operators can get a message through via their Traffic Relay System. It's a system that can get telegram-style messages into areas that were impacted and allow people to let their relatives know they are safe or where they are now located.

Every month, the ARRL posts the names and callsigns of operators that have assisted with traffic handling in a column in QRZ. They also give out the brass pounders league award for those who relay more than 70 points worth of traffic for three or more months in a set time period.