Other tie-dye patterns:

Stripes:
Decide where you want the stripes to originate from, and start placing rubber bands at intervals along the article in that direction. You will probably need to adjust the material where it bunches up to assure even exposure to the dye. Striping can also be achieved through fan-folding material.

Random:
More of a complete lack of a pattern than a pattern, random tie-dye is achieved by banding off random sections of the article to be dyed. Every time you do this, it will look different, depending on the spacing and position of the sections.

Heart, star, or other geometric shape:
The object is to separate the shape you want with the line where the fabric is banded and the dye does not reach. One method is to mark the outline of the desired shape lightly with a washable pencil, take a needle and some thread and baste around the edges. Pulling the thread tight should cause the outline to form somewhat of a circle that can then be banded off. You might have to make some adjustments to make as pure of a shape as possible. This may require practice, and round shapes are much easier to make than those with sharp lines. In fact, you may want to 'cheat' a little by marking the shape off with tape and spraying it with dye, keeping that section of the material separate from the rest.

Tie-dying is an unpredictable art, and every tie-dyed article will be unique. The more you dye, the better you will become at predicting what patterns certain methods will create. Experimentation with new methods and variants of existing methods can bring about incredibly unique, beautiful patterns. Then when people ask you, "Did you make that yourself?" you can answer "Yes, I did!" with pride.