Svend Robinson is the Member of Parliament for the Burnaby-Douglas area in British Columbia, Canada.

Our beloved Svend, an NDP member, has been re-elected six times since being first elected to the House of Commons in 1979 at the age of 25 -- the youngest member of his party.

Robinson grew up in the area he represents, and attended Burnaby North Secondary.

He was the first openly gay MP, having come out publicly in the spring of 1988. This does not phase us, the residents of his area, as we have come to know and love him over the years. In fact, he makes it his duty to remember all of us by first and last name after meeting us, no matter how important or unimportant we seem, or how quick the meeting is, which makes him just that much more of a great leader and representative.

Robinson is very close to the community, speaking at graduation ceremonies, writing letters of congratulations to those who have accomplished something, attending grand openings, community events, and local performances, patronizing our small businesses, and saying "Hi" on the streets when he recognizes us. He listens to our concerns. He works hard to solve the problems of our area, and fights for what he believes in. He is the only truly honest politician that I know, or know of.

He is the epitome of what I expect from a politician. I doubt he will lose an election any time soon.