Somewhere along the course of their lives, some fortunate few find themselves compelled to embark upon a "spice journey" -- not by physical travels (though it may involve these), but via a transformational phase in one's palate. It all starts with with an unexpected infatuation with spicy food, possibly triggered by a childhood memory, possibly simply the sudden craving for heat. This newly born appreciation propels the individual into exploration of mastication of the fiery intensity of certain families of foods, most famously an array of chili peppers bred by nature to ward off herbivores by being mouth-burning, and yet quixotically desirable to some subset of humans. But peppers (and black pepper) alone do not circumscribe the world of spice; certain kinds of mustard and horseradish bring their own heat.

The journey inevitably starts cautiously. A dab of hot sauce here, a sprinkle of cayenne pepper there—each tasting testing the limits of one's tolerance. For those who can hack it, the excitement of pushing boundaries arises and exhilarates. And once one discovers one's limits, the journey turns inwards, and becomes not just about enduring the heat, but about savoring the flavoring. Tolerance builds, and the spice journey evolves into a quest for personal spice preferences from the endless possibility of recombinations rediscovered a thousand times in different regions and by different cultures.

The culmination of the spice journey is a deep appreciation for the art of hotness. Understanding which spices complement what dishes, achieving an almost philosophical balance of heat and sweet and savoriness and flavorfulness, embracing the delightful sting suffusing a well-spiced meal. Ultimately, the journey transforms one's relationship with food, with the world, and with oneself.



288-ish words, including this one, for Brevity Quest 2024