Yes, you can take decisive action to make your favorite web sites more popular! You can take measures, all by your very self, to get your own personal web picks moved closer to the top of popular search engine Google.

The method is simple: put a hyperlink to the site on your home page! For Google ranks results according to the number of "incoming links" it finds to a given page during its crawl. When it comes down to cases where two different pages show up in Google’s search results, the page that has more other pages linking to it will tend to be moved higher up the list, and let’s face it, people aren’t going to check the second page of search results if they find what they’re after on the first. Of course, it's a little more complex than that (pages with lots of incoming links get lots of outgoing power), but that's the general idea. This may not seem like much power for a single person to you, but what’d you expect in a democracy?

This also carries the sneaky side benefit that people might actually use your hyperlink. Imagine that!

A useful extra feature: you can find all the pages that link to a given page by entering its web address in Google's search box preceeded by "link:". Great for finding out one's webshare!

I bet you thought this was going to be about Everything.