This morning I was standing in a queue at the Coles supermarket in Woden, Canberra, ready to purchase a jar of instant coffee. Too many people were waiting for the express queue, so I took a line used by fewer people with more groceries. I was sandwiched between an older lady who was currently being served, and a young woman behind me wheeling a fully laden trolly with her toddler.

The young boy was greedily hugging with his forearms two packets of Freddo Frogs. Freddo Frogs, by the way, are bite-sized pieces of chocolate with various flavoured infills like milk chocolate and strawberry that Australian kids have loved since 1930. Apparently the inventor originally designed a mouse-shaped confectionary, but his boss thought women and children were scared of mice.

So I commented to the young woman that his son really liked his Freddos.
"Oh yes, he does", she giggled
The older lady added, "but don't we all. I especially like the new Freddos that have rice in"
I misheard her and frowned quizzically, "With ricin?"

Now the two ladies and the cashier thought that was really funny. One of them explained that one new flavour was rice, although I suspect she meant a new pine-lime concoction. Rice is not especially favoured by the juvenile Western palate I thought, but perhaps the Cadbury company are more innovative than what I believe.

"Oh well, at least that is one way to keep control of your kids", I added good humouredly as the old lady packed her shopping bags.

I made my purchase and headed to work, but considered one ominous sign of the times. Five years ago, prior to 9/11 or the War on Terror or global fears of biological weapons of mass destruction, these two ducks would probably have had no idea what ricin is.