Once called the "Most Unpleasant Band in London", Szeki Kurva, an Anglo-Hungarian turbofolk band, has been kicked out of nearly every live venue in London. Szeki Kurva combines Hungarian folk music with technoindustrial and punk elements (hence "turbofolk"), together with a lot of sampling. Their lead singer, Ludas Matyi, sounds like Pinky from the popular cartoon Pinky and the Brain on lots and lots of meth. This is good, because he has to keep up with the rest of the band, and Szeki Kurva is one of the fastest, weirdest, funniest and most bloodthirsty bands I've ever heard. Many of their lyrics are amusing and ironic commentary on the problems which besiege Eastern Europe late in the 20th and early in the 21st centuries; bloodthirsty politics and nihilistic youth figuring prominently. One of the best tracks (track 6, The Balkan Express (LittleGoatsForever Mix)) on their second album, The Fearless Vampire Killers, starts off with a sample from Addams Family Values: "And for all these reasons, I have decided to scalp you... and burn your village to the ground." Strangely, frighteningly, that phrase embodies the music of Szeki Kurva. Fast, exotic, mad and maddening, this is the sort of music you want to listen to on the way to a large, debauched party.

Szeki Kurva has recently been renamed The Fighting Cocks, and has signed on with the RCA label, so hopefully they'll be getting wider attention in the future. Their albums to date are:

The name of the band is derived from two sources: "Szeki", which is a town in Hungary, and "Kurva", meaning bitch or whore... so, "bitch from Szeki".