As a massage student (www.ewcha.com) I would like to just add a few things to your list:

There is another type of stroke used in Swedish massage: Compression. It can be Static (press and hold in one place, or press one place then another then another) or Rhythmic (press repeatedly in the same place). In Swedish massage, compression is used to warm tissue and improve circulation, whereas in Shiatsu and Thai it is used more often on Meridians and Accupressure Points. This technique works best if there is a bony structure deep to the tissue being compressed (sounds obvious in retrospect, I know.)

Effleurage is also usually defined as "long, gliding strokes" rather than just "long strokes". Effleurage can be deep or superficial, depending on the application. In Swedish, I use Deep Effleurage and Compression in some very pleasant combinations.

Friction does not necessarily have to be circular. There are also varieties like Longitudinal (with the direction of muscle fiber or connective tissue) and Cross Fiber (across the direction of muscle fiber or connective tissue) for several effects. Primarily in both cases, loosening myofascial adhesions and alligning collagen fibers is a goal, while tendonous cross fiber friction can relieve tendon pain associated with hypertonic muscles, and prolonged deep cross fiber friction can stimulate the immune response in an otherwise chronic, never-healing tendon injury.

Petrissage is indeed kneading, but it can also be lifting, rolling, and other methods of manipulation. Typically done with a muscle in shortened position, or with skin and subdermal fascia.

Vibration has many varieties, from coarse (shaking, rocking, jostling) to fine (fingertip and Qi), deep and superficial as well (placing a flat hand on the skin and just vibrating the hand as opposed to leaning an elbow into the accupressure point at the articulation of T12-L1 and shaking the hand). Vibration seems to be very effective in getting around psychological motion barriers, relieving hypertonicity, and resetting muscle spindles. But I'm still just a student so stand by for more information.

Another modality that is becoming popular in America is Thai Massage, which involves range-of-motion stretching, some muscle energy techniques (reciprocal inhibition, PNF, PIR), and I find it's easiest to describe as "two person Yoga with Shiatsu"... the last Thai massage I recieved involved the therapist drinking a cup of tea while holding most of his weight off my back with a crutch, grabbing my ribcage and illium with his toes to stretch my quadratus lumborum muscle, among other techniques. Much more conducive to conversation than Swedish, and performed fully clothed.

Since I'm new here, if anyone with a clue reads this and would like to show me how to put some of this information directly into the structure of this site rather than just ranting in badly formed paragraphs, I would be your friend forever.

;-}