"Ask my family and they'll tell you I was a Navajo.
Ask the Army Air Force and they'll say I was an American.
But if you ask my brothers, they'll set you straight.
John Cloud was a Loser."

Long before the Vertigo comic or the movie based on it, "The Losers" was an old-school war comic published by DC Comics.

The series was created by writer Robert Kanigher (with illustrations by a variety of DC's artists, including Sam Glanzman, Russ Heath, and John Severin, with Joe Kubert providing outstanding covers and occasional interior art) and appeared in a comic called "Our Fighting Forces" in early 1970. It starred a team of characters who had previously appeared in other DC war comics -- a pair of Marines called Gunner and Sarge, a Navajo pilot named Johnny Cloud, and Captain Storm, a PT boat commander with a wooden leg.

All of Kanigher's war comics tended toward the fatalistic, with war nearly always portrayed as a difficult, painful, and ultimately futile business, but "The Losers" really dialed that up to 11. While the Losers usually completed their assigned objectives, they would also suffer serious setbacks that sometimes made their missions completely moot. They would obtain desperately needed intelligence, but the hostages they rescued from the Nazis would be slain or turn traitor. A successful mission would be attributed to a blind act of god or ignored entirely, leaving their efforts unacknowledged by the brass. They would destroy a Nazi base, but another Allied unit would end up claiming the credit, leaving the team looking like, well, losers. Their equipment and transport would malfunction or be destroyed, forcing them to walk back to HQ. And no plan ever worked right the first time. The Losers had the worst luck of anyone on either side of the lines.

At one point, Captain Storm was seemingly killed by a bomb, and he was briefly replaced on the squad by Ona Tomsen, a member of Norway's resistance forces. Another occasional team member was Gunner's pet dog, Pooch. Storm eventually reappeared, having lost an eye in the explosion. He suffered from a bout of amnesia and plagued his old friends for a while as a stereotypical pirate, though he finally regained his memory and rejoined the team.

The Losers have had several different endings, official and unofficial, in and out of continuity. During the Crisis on Infinite Earths, they were killed by the Anti-Monitor's shadow demons. In the post-Crisis continuity rewrite, they were killed in action while destroying a German missile facility. Gunner was resurrected as a cyborg during a revival of the Creature Commandos series. Gunner and Sarge were stuck in a POW camp on a time-lost Dinosaur Island and rescued in an issue of "Birds of Prey." A backup story in the "DC Universe: Legacies" miniseries established that all four survived the war -- Sarge owned a chain of gas stations, Gunner was a veterinarian, Captain Storm worked for the Bureau of Disabled Veterans Affairs, and Cloud served at least three terms in Congress.

The ending I prefer comes from Darwyn Cooke's amazing DC: The New Frontier series. The tale is told from Johnny Cloud's POV. On a mission to a mysterious island, the Losers encounter a host of dinosaurs. Gunner is killed by a Tyrannosaur, Sarge goes missing while trying to get revenge on the monster, and Captain Storm is lost to a pterodactyl. Even Pooch is killed by a booby trap. Cloud ends up sacrificing himself by leaping down the T-rex's throat armed with a couple of live hand grenades. The story is short and has little bearing on the rest of the miniseries, but the affection for the Losers and their dedication to each other really shines through beautifully.