I once worked in an office that featured the angriest, most embittered secretary in the world. A friendly "Good morning" was usually either ignored or answered with some sort of rude comment. (She kept her job because she was married to the boss, and most of us tried to excuse her behavior because she was wracked with the worst case of arthritis we'd ever seen -- we figured her attitude was significantly worsened by her condition.)

One of the few times I saw her express concern and caring was, one day right after work, when she found a dying baby sparrow lying on the ground outside the office. She called me over as I was heading to my car and pointed out the bird to me. It was small, but nicely feathered and had open eyes. It didn't make a sound, and it didn't move much -- it moved its head and eyes, so we could tell it was alive.

Our secretary wondered what was wrong with it, where its mother was, what we should do for it. No biologist, I -- but I reckoned it had fallen or been pushed from its nest and had broken at least one bone in the fall, that its mother had given it up, that there was nothing we could do for it. It was dying. It was doomed.

"Could you pick it up?" she asked me. My momma had raised me on stories of all the parasites birds had, but I figured picking up one baby bird wouldn't kill me, so I carefully scooped it out of the grass. "Light as a feather" is such a cliche, but I could think of no other way to describe it -- light, so light, like there was nothing in my hands at all. I knew it must surely be in agony and terrified that one of the Big Pink Things was touching it ("You wouldn't believe all the parasites and germs those Big Pink Things have," its momma had surely told it once), but its eyes looked perfectly calm, watching me as if all the fear had been bled out of its system.

"Please let me hold it," our secretary asked, and she held out both of her arthritis-gnarled hands. I put the bird in her hands, and she watched it for a minute, saying, "Oh, the poor thing," once or twice. Then she gave it back to me and asked again, "What should we do with it?" I considered trying to put it out of its misery, but I wasn't prepared to try to kill it with my hands. I ended up putting it back down on the ground. It was dead the next morning and covered with ants.

Our secretary continued to act rudely to everyone. She and I never spoke about the bird again.